Saturday, February 13, 2010

Determination tested during my Olympic mitten trials

Determination tested during my Olympic mitten trials
by Colleen Simard, from Winnipeg Free Press, February 13, 2010. (Link found via RDO.)

Last weekend, I went shopping for a birthday present for one of my sisters. While checking out Zellers I came upon a display of those red winter Olympic mittens. Yes, those hot-ticket items with the little maple leaf and the Olympic rings embroidered on them.

They've been a hot commodity since Olympic fever kicked in, and the price is great too. Even my son mentioned them a while back, saying he was tempted to get a pair. I told him it was OK -- he didn't have to boycott the Olympics just because I was.

But they were kind of cute. I felt guilty even picking up a pair and holding them. Should I buy my kid a pair? Yes, I was waffling on my principles over a pair of $10 mittens. For about 20 seconds or so I did think of buying them.

But what would I be teaching him if I bought him those mittens when he's just developing an understanding of indigenous issues and why the Olympics are controversial in the first place.

You see, it's not just about mittens. Actually, it's about guns -- metaphorically speaking. What it all comes down to is you can't sell out on something like a pair of mittens, no matter how cute they are.

You've got to stick to your guns.

Olympic fever is going full swing now, and I'm not looking forward to the next couple of weeks. I won't stand in their way, but I won't support them. I will grumble silently, but grumble nonetheless.

Granted, the Olympics have benefitted aboriginal people in a few ways. There are the plane loads of sports equipment that were flown to northern communities, so aboriginal youth can have a positive outlet for their energy.

There are the aboriginal Olympians, both past and present, who have been part of the games. They are now role models for our youth; our kids can achieve whatever they want if they put their mind to it.

And sure, it's great they've included our culture in the mix, but wouldn't it be foolish not to include us, considering we're the original inhabitants of this country? I think they were pretty much obligated to do so. It sure makes Olympic gear more marketable and sellable to give it some aboriginal flavour, too.

So thank you Olympics, but I still can't support you. I won't watch you, cheer for athletes, or buy any of your souvenirs.

How can I celebrate my "national pride" at the Olympics when my country refuses even to sign onto the Declaration of the Rights on the Indigenous People? How can I be proud about that?

When young aboriginal women go missing and it literally takes decades before anyone thinks to do something about it?

When most Canadians see treaty rights as something we "whine about" and they don't have to honour, and yet they continue to enjoy their side of the treaty deal?

The very land the Olympics is being held on is indigenous land, but it's never acknowledged as that in the mainstream. I just can't do it. I don't support the winter Olympics.

I don't care that the chiefs of the four host nations in B.C. are supporting the Olympics. I don't care that they're getting some kind of "Olympic legacy" money for being good hosts, because the price tag is likely bargain rate at best.

I want to know what the other guys -- the real indigenous people -- are thinking. How will they benefit from this "Olympic legacy?" And what do the Art Manuels and the Taiaiake Alfreds and the Clayton Thomas-Mullers and the Wapo Piesiws of the world think about everything?

What do they have to say about the ongoing use of indigenous land?

I don't care that the Olympic torch is getting blessed by aboriginal elders, or even if it ends up that the opening ceremony torch lighting is done by an aboriginal athlete. It'd be nice, but it wouldn't change anything.

I've got to stick to my guns, even when it comes to mittens.

No comments: